SAVE $60 NOW
When you sign up for our all-season pest control plan
as low as $35 per month
Call Today to Learn More
What are the unique characteristics of roaches?
Roaches are omnivores, eating anything from plants to leather to human food to paper to dead skin cells. When food is scarce they will become cannibalistic, eating other roaches. Cockroaches are also attracted to beer, but more for the sugar than alcohol content!
Though not indestructible, roaches have developed keen survival skills. Roaches can run at a speed of three miles per hour. They can withstand 32 degrees (Fahrenheit) cold and can go a month without food and a week without water. A roach can survive a half-hour submerged underwater and hold its breath for 40 minutes. Most surprisingly, because it breathes through spiracles on its body, a cockroach can live for a week without its head, dying only because it can’t drink water through its mouth.
What are the habits of roaches?
Most roaches are nocturnal, preferring to come out in the dark. They migrate to warm locations and typically hide in cracks and crevices, though American cockroaches are bold and will often congregate in the open.
What are the risks of a roach infestation?
Roaches travel through dirty areas, carrying germs from one place to another and contaminating food, surfaces, and other items they come in contact with. They spread more than 30 different types of bacteria, including salmonella, which can cause physical distress in humans. Their presence can trigger asthma attacks and allergic reactions, especially in children. Cockroaches may also feed on human skin, hair, and nails, causing irritation, swelling, and even open wounds.
Highly Reviewed Pest Control Services
Have a Question or Want a FREE Quote?
Fill out the form below to get started!
Where are roaches are commonly found?
- Roaches will take up residence anywhere they can find food, water, shelter, and warmth.
- Brown-banded cockroaches are usually found in the Southern, Midwest, and Northeastern regions of the United States. They prefer warm, dry locations and hide in closets, furniture, and cabinets.
- German cockroaches like warm, moist places like bathrooms and kitchens, as well as anywhere food is prepared. They are often found in restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, and apartments.
- American cockroaches typically stay outdoors, though they will come inside to find food or escape the cold. They prefer dark, moist areas like basements, water pipes, and boiler rooms.
- Oriental cockroaches are prevalent in the Southern, Midwest, and Northwestern regions of the United States. They also like moist, damp spots in crawl spaces, under porches, and around sewer drains and pipes.
- Wood cockroaches prefer to remain outside, making their homes under piles of wood, debris, and leaves.
Areas We Service in Vancouver WA and Surrounding Areas
Don't wait to get a pest-free home! Interstate Pest Management offers a variety of highly-effective pest control solutions to our neighbors throughout the Pacific Northwest. We're honored to provide our environmentally-friendly, expert pest control and extermination services to Vancouver, Portland, Beaverton, Gresham, Lake Oswego, Longview, and the surrounding areas.
See All Locations
Our Pest Control Reviews Say It All
Awesome, killer service.
We have used Interstate for a number of years and they have greatly helped in controlling yellow jackets.
My parents have had Interstate Pest for about 5 years now and they are amazing! My fiancé and I just purchased a house and right away called Interstate to get rid of all creepy crawlies.