Bed bugs have been a rapidly increasing problem in the U.S. since the late 1990’s. They cause itchy, often painful welts after feeding on the blood of humans and pets as they sleep. The sooner you identify a bed bug problem, the easier it will be to treat it successfully!
What Do Bed Bugs Look Like?
Bed bugs look different depending on where they are in their life cycle. Bed bug eggs are very tiny and translucent. Each egg would fit on the head of a pin. Once these eggs hatch, the bugs are about 1 mm. Although bed bugs are black, it’s usually the rust-colored fecal spots they leave behind that identify an infestation. Bed bugs may also appear red if they have recently fed.
Where Do Bed Bugs Hide?
Because bed bugs are incredibly small, it can be difficult to see them unless you know where to look. Some of the most popular hiding spots include the following:
- Along the piping, seams, and tags of mattresses and box springs
- Cracks in bed frames and headboards
- Inside chair and couch cushions
- Around door joints
- In electrical outlets
You Found Bed Bugs, Now What?
Finding bed bugs in your home is frustrating, and you may not know what to do first. Here are some ways you can take action:
- Cover mattresses and box springs. Protective encasements come in light colors that make it difficult for bed bugs to hide.
- Clean up areas of clutter in your home. By eliminating clutter, you will give bed bugs fewer places to hide.
- Clean floors and carpets often. Trap bed bugs hiding on the surface of your floors inside your vacuum.
- Interception devices. These devices detect even low-level infestations.
One of the best, most effective ways to eliminate a bed bug infestation and keep them from returning is to contact a professional pest control company, like Interstate Pest Management. Our experts use steam machines to kill bed bugs at every stage of the life cycle, and chemical applications for hard-to-reach areas.
Did you know? We are one of the few companies in the country that are Certified Bed Bug-Free! This designation is awarded to companies who commit to regular certifications and proactive customer service.
Interstate Pest Management provides expert bed bug control services in the greater Portland, OR, and Vancouver, WA areas. We get to work quickly, determining the level of infestation in your home and employing the appropriate solutions so your home will remain bed bug-free for the long-term. Our 7-step elimination system takes an average of four visits to tackle the problem. We even offer canine services! Dogs can be specially trained to sniff out infestations more accurately than human visual inspections.