Signs You Have a Rodent Infestation
Rodents are more than just creepy critters. By chewing up your belongings and spreading diseases, they are also incredibly damaging pests that could wreak havoc on your home and health. Being able to identify signs of rodents in your house could help you spot an infestation before it can cause too much destruction. Here are some of the most common signs of rats and mice in your home:
- Droppings: If rodents are invading your house, you will likely notice their droppings in areas like cupboards, beneath sinks, or other hidden spaces. Rodent droppings typically look like coffee grounds or tiny dark pellets, though the type of rodent can determine exactly how the droppings will look.
- Gnaw marks: Rats and mice like to chew – both to grind down their teeth and to gather materials for nests. If you notice gnaw marks on walls, wires, cardboard, or fabric, it could mean that rodents are invading.
- Runways: Runways are rodent tracks, which can usually be identified by small footprints, urine stains, droppings, or smudge marks. If you notice runways throughout your house, there are likely rodents nearby.
- Scratching noises: As rodents crawl through our homes, they often make scratching or scampering sounds. People are most likely to notice these noises at night, especially coming from the walls or attic spaces.
- Foul odors: One of the most common rodent infestation signs is an unpleasant or musty odor. This smell is usually the result of droppings and urine, which can pose a serious health risk. Generally, larger infestations result in a more pungent smell.
- Unusual pet behavior: Your pets may notice the signs of mice or rats before you do! If your dog begins to bark, look more alert, or try to get behind appliances and furniture, they may be trying to get to rodents.
- Live or dead rodents. If you see even a single rat or mouse – alive or dead – in your home, there are likely many more hiding out. A rodent in your home is a sign that you need to take quick action to prevent the infestation from growing or spreading.
Professional Rodent Exterminators
Whether you are dealing with an active rodent infestation or just want professional help keeping pests out, the experts at Interstate Pest Management have you covered. We provide advanced rodent control and exclusion services for homeowners and businesses, and our specialists are dedicated to finding and treating the root cause of your infestation once and for all. Just give us a call today to get a free quote!